About This Course
This course provides an introduction the Scala language and the functional programming paradigm.
Payment and Registration
You can purchase this course on its own, or as part of our Full Library subscription.
- Purchase this course alone
- Purchase the full OnDemand library (includes courses for developers, administrators, and data analysts)
This course includes 2 hours of video content. Students who have purchased this course on its own are allowed up to 5 hours of lab time. (Subscribers to the full OnDemand library are given 100 hours of lab time across all courses.)
Through videos and hands-on exercises, participants will learn the basics of using Scala, including these topics:
- The basics of and motivation for using the functional programming paradigm
- Features of the Scala language
- Working with variables in Scala
- Using Scala collections
- Controlling code flow in Scala
- Importing and using Scala code libraries
Audience and Prerequisites
This course is intended for students who need to become familiar with Scala before progressing to one of the Cloudera developer classes. Familiarity with Java programming, object-oriented programming, and basic computer science concepts is suggested in order to get the most out of this course. However, the class does not refer specifically to big data, data analytics, Cloudera software, or Hadoop, so no experience in those areas is needed.